Design a winning reusable bag
Reusable eco-bags are a must-have for retail, fashion and the High Street. Every time they are used they’re promoting your brand, they show you care about the environment and increase revenue if sold in a retail store. That is why it is so important to choose the right bag for your company. We see many eco-bags hastily put together, with the main reason either lack time or lack of know-how. Here are my top tips for designing a reusable bag that will make your bag stand out from the rest:
1. Be organised: Pre-planning is essential to achieve the most out of your bag. Allow the most amount of time possible for design, manufacture and shipment. This will save money as well: all too often clients end up spending as much on express delivery as the actual bag cost. It takes eight weeks for manufacture and delivery which needs to be factored in on top of the time you spend selecting the style of bag and creating the artwork for it.
2. Bag your brand: This is an opportunity to extend your marketing campaign. If you have a great logo, use it. Often a simple design that encapsulates the sentiment of your brand used with your website address can be more effective than a traditional branded logo bag.
3. Be creative: This is your chance to be different. Consider having the handles, piping or gusset in a different colour to the base bag colour. Instead of being tempted for a white bag with your logo printed in your brand colour go for a Non-woven bag made in the material colour of your brand and the printing in black, white or a complimentary colour. So many bags end up looking the same and you want yours to stand out!
4. Use colour: The benefit of choosing a Non-woven polypropylene bag is the huge range of vibrant colours you can choose from. Non-woven material can be matched to the exact pantone colour for large orders.
5. Think detail: Increase the quality by adding poppers, a zip or pocket. Perhaps a hard base insert to improve durability? Laminating a Non-woven bag will transform it to a totally different bag.
6. Make it simple: Style is king! You want your bags to look great so they are used over and over again to get your brand maximum exposure. Avoid the temptation to print too much text. A great image, design or colour choice will create bag envy.
7. Think about your audience: Match your style of bag match to suit your target audience. If it is mainly for women think about a tote with longer over the shoulder handles. For men, a messenger style bag would be suitable while a drawstring bag would be best for youth or sports use. For supermarket shopping a heavy duty green bag with a base might be the best choice. These are only a few suggestions, but each campaign will have different considerations.
8. Choose the right material: Make sure the material compliments your brand, style and target client:
Non-woven PP: is recyclable, contemporary and versatile. It can accommodate sophisticated full colour print techniques to achieve a photo quality as well as silk screen printing or heat transfer.
Cotton: is traditional and suited to simple one or two colour screen printing
Jute: is natural, rigid and suited to supermarket style shopping bags.
rPET: is a modern and environmentally friendly made from recycled PET bottles. This might be a feature that is important and a message in itself.
9. Think print: Spend time thinking about the kind of print you will use:
Silk screen printing: is available for Non-woven, cotton, Jute and rPET. The most intricate of designs can be portrayed in perfect detail with single print colours.
Heat transfer: for a photo quality finish a heat transfer might be the ticket. Essentially a tattoo or a decal is created and with the use of heat bonded onto the bag. This method can be used for non-woven bags, cotton bags, jute or rPET.
Full Colour Process: best for woven or Non- woven bags. It is suited to graphic and digitally created art work where 100% print coverage is desired. It will guarantee a contemporary and vibrant bag and no limit to creativity.
10. Make your bag do business for you: Think about using your bag in promotions – customers spend over £50 and get a bag free or have a special environmentally friendly days when you give away a complimentary bag.
These considerations will affect the quality and price of an ecobag. It is worth the time and investment as it will result in the best bag possible maximising your brand, encouraging reuse and adding to the success of your marketing campaigns.
p:0208 242 4468
Smart Bags is an active member of Ethical Junction, learn more